Bethany is cognizant of the high cost of
the traditional classroom approach to teaching, and the
difficulties so many students have in attending regular
college classes. Although Bethany offers a traditional on-site
program of study, its main objective is to provide a quality
non-traditional education. This program was designed for
those in the Christian community who find the on-campus
approach impractical. Often it is not realistic to uproot
the entire family, leave a current job, or resign a church
or school employment to attend college.
Because of the need for a non-traditional
methodology, Bethany developed a high quality, self-motivating
and self-disciplining curriculum for the off-campus approach.
The courses consist of conservative Bible teaching through
textbooks, research, assignments and deductive reasoning.
To have an effective external program of study, it is necessary
to have contact with the students . This is accomplished
by requiring each student to maintain contact with the college
every thirty to forty-five days. This gives an opportunity
to report on progress, answer any questions, and discuss
Although there is much debate over the
validity, methodology, and credibility of external studies,
like other institutions, Bethany stands firm on this approach.
The institution believes that the non-traditional approach
offers one ingredient that is often missing in many traditional
schools, self-discipline. With the proper tools and guidance,
off-campus programs are as valid and credible as any other
method of study.
Bethany exists for one purpose. That purpose
is to establish and maintain a religious institution offering
Christian educational programs. These programs include Bible,
Pastoral Ministry, Christian Education, Theology, Christian
Counseling and other related subjects. The main object is
to prepare persons for full or part-time Christian service.
- Bethany provides professional educational programs for the practitioner of ministry, the evangelist, the missionary, the education director, and those engaged in other areas of Christian service.
- Bethany strives to equip these leaders with educational skills for the practice of ministry and Christian service, just as one would study for a vocation in Dentistry, Chiropractic, or Jurisprudence. While the education programs offered by Bethany are vocational by nature, it is recognized that the work of the ministry is of Divine calling.
- Bethany's program is flexible and attempts to provide sound training regardless of one's educational background.
The philosophy of Bethany Divinity College and Seminary is rooted in the Bible, which is the standard that under girds the curriculum of this institution. Bethany believes that the knowledge of the Word of God must be first in the education process for Christian workers. All students are encouraged to study to show themselves approved unto God, in accordance with II Timothy 2:15; to read the Word of God, in accordance with I Timothy 4:13; and to share the Word of God, as demonstrated in Acts 8:26-35.
Bethany recognizes that God is the source of all knowledge; therefore, its curriculum includes some non-Biblical courses. When it is necessary to study these subjects, it is done so for the purpose of obtaining certain information and knowledge which will aid the student in ministry application. Although these courses may be taught, the educational/research programs are Christ centered and reflect Biblical principles and not humanistic interpretations.
It is the desire of Bethany that the Alumni use the educational experiences for personal Christian growth, leadership in local Christian service, and to carry out the Great Commission as set forth by Christ in Matthew 28:18-20.
Bethany recognizes the Holy Spirit as the ultimate teacher and the Bible as the supreme authority. A love for God's Word and a thorough knowledge of it are prerequisites for any effective ministry. Bethany exists to nurture and develop these principles in the student.
In keeping with our stated purpose, it is the objective of Bethany to prepare students for vocational or lay Christian ministries. Bethany seeks to assist the student in development to spiritual maturity, Bible knowledge, and ministry skills. This is accomplished by undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate programs of academic instruction.
- It is our goal to produce a graduate who has a deeper KNOWLEDGE OF CHRIST; one who KNOWS the WORD and is approaching a mastery of its content and an understanding of its meaning; one capable of assimilating and applying its truth, having developed skills in the use of study tools.
- It is our goal to help students KNOW THEMSELVES through an increasing awareness of spiritual gifts and personal potential: to KNOW OTHER PEOPLE by becoming sensitive to their needs; and to KNOW the SKILLS required in a particular area of ministry.